Berthold Vöcking (verstorben am 11.6.2014)
Email: voecking ät cs.rwth-aachen.de
Research interests and publicationsI'm interested in theoretical computer science, especially in
- approximation and online algorithms
- algorithmic game theory and mechanism design
- randomized algorithms and probabilistic analysis of algorithms
- algorithms for graphs and interconnection networks
Most of my publications together with a citation list can be found at Google scholar.
- member of the DFG reviewing board (Fachkollegium) for Informatics, since 2012
- speaker of special interest group Theoretical Computer Science (Fachausschuss Theoretische Informatik) of the GI, from 2007 to 2012
- Distributed Computing (Springer-Verlag)
- ACM Transactions on Computation Theory (ToCT)
- Taschenbuch der Algorithmen (Springer-Verlag)
- Algorithms Unplugged (Springer-Verlag)
- Algorithmus der
Woche within the Informatikjahr
Conferences and workshops
- PC chair and organization of SAGT 2013 in Aachen
- PC chair of ACM SPAA 2013 in Montreal
- Steering committees:
- Symposium on Algorithmic Game Theory (SAGT), since 2008
- Symposium on Theoretical Aspects of Computer Science (STACS), co-chair, 2006-2012
- Organization of workshops:
- Dagstuhl seminar on Electronic Markets and Auctions, Nov 10-15, 2013
- Dagstuhl seminar on Flexible Network Design, May 24-28, 2010
- SWAT satellite workshop on Realistic Models for Algorithms in Wireless Networks, June 19-20, 2010
- Dagstuhl seminar on Probabilistic Methods in the Design and Analysis of Algorithms, Sept. 23-28, 2007
- STACS 2007 in Aachen (member of the organization committee)
- Workshop on Optimization in Complex Networks in Oxford, 2006
- Annual meeting of DFG-SPP 1126 in Aachen, 2006
- GI seminar "Game-Theoretic Analyses of the Internet" in Dagstuhl, 2004
- Summer school ADFOCS in Saarbrücken, 2001
- PC memberships:
SAGT'13 | SPAA'13 | FOCS'12 | PODC'12 | EC'12 | IPDPS'12 | SAGT'11 | EC'11 | SAGT'10 | ICALP-C'10 | EC'10 | DCOSS'10 | Algosensors'10 | CSR'10 | FOCS'09 | EC'09 | WINE'09 | COMSOC'08 | ICALP-A'08 | SAGT'08 | SODA'08 | HIPC'07 | PODC'07 | GECCO'07 | FOCS'05 | ESA'05 | WAOA'05 | ICALP'04 | SPAA'04 | IPDPS'04 | SIROCCO'03 | SPAA'02 | STACS'02 | Euro-Par'02
Past Ph.D. students
- René Beier (Sept 2004)
- Simon Fischer (April 2007)
- Heiko Röglin (June 2008)
- Heiner Ackermann (Jan 2009)
- Lars Olbrich (Feb 2008)
- Alexander Skopalik (Aug 2010)
- Alexander Fanghänel (Dec 2010)
- Thomas Kesselheim (Aug 2012)
- Marcel Ochel (April 2013)
- Melanie Winkler (Dec 2013)
Infos about current Ph.D. students can be found on the staff page.
A short CV ...
- From July 1995 to December 98, I worked towards my Ph.D. in the research group Theoretical Computer Science headed by Friedhelm Meyer auf der Heide at Paderborn University, Heinz Nixdorf Institut (HNI) in Paderborn, Germany.
- From January to December 1999, I joined the theory group headed by Richard Karp at the International Computer Science Institute in Berkeley, California.
- From January to May 2000, I stayed as visiting assistent professor at the University of Massachusetts (UMASS) in Amherst, Massachusetts.
- From June 2000 to September 2002, I was a member of the algorithms and complexity group of Kurt Mehlhorn at the Max-Planck-Institute für Informatik (MPII) in Saarbrücken, Germany (almost France).
- From October 2002 to September 2004, I joined the CS department at Dortmund University as an associate professor in the algorithms and complexity group.
- Since October 2004, I'm full professor in the CS department at RWTH Aachen University.